• Underground Tamarack Trammer Car

    Keweenaw

    National Historical Park Michigan

Keweenaw National Historical Park Receives Two Grants

Subscribe RSS Icon | What is RSS
Date: December 15, 2004
Contact: Dan Johnson, 906-337-1104, ext. 132

Keweenaw National Historical Park Superintendent Frank Fiala announced today that the park has successfully attained two grants from the National Park Foundation.

The first grant of $4,000 is for the 2004 National Parks Volunteerism Enhancement Program. This grant is made possible through a generous donation from REI (Recreational Equipment Incorporated,) a manufacturer and retailer of outdoor apparel and equipment. The Volunteer Enhancement Program supports and enhances volunteer activities and opportunities in National Parks. It is designed to reduce costs to parks for establishing and/or enhancing a volunteer program. The ultimate goal of the program is to assist parks in their efforts to provide high-quality volunteer experiences that, in turn, strengthen the enduring connection between volunteers and their National Parks.

Keweenaw National Historical Park is in the initial stages of establishing its volunteer program and funds from the grant will be used to recruit volunteers, provide training and acquire materials for volunteer projects. Volunteer projects at Keweenaw National Historical Park for 2005 will include preparation and cataloging of historical artifacts and archival materials, historical research, assistance with staffing the park’s Quincy Information Desk, preparation and presentation of historic walking tours of Calumet and assessment and documentation of historical structures. Other projects will be announced at a later time. For information on volunteering at Keweenaw National Historical Park, contact Dan Johnson, the park’s volunteer coordinator at 337-1104, ext. 132.

The park has also received a professional digital photography equipment package valued at $4,724 from Kodak through the National Park Foundation as part of the Proud Partners of America’s National Parks program. The equipment provided through this program is to enhance the imaging capabilities of parks in support of education and/or visitor programs, and to aid in the categorizing, cataloging and classification of park resources. “This grant has provided us with the opportunity to acquire needed equipment that we may not have been able to obtain with our available funds,” said Kathleen Harter, Chief of Interpretation and Education for the park. “This equipment will be invaluable for the park as we begin to create exhibits, publications, web pages and other materials to help visitors and area students better understand the area’s copper mining history and heritage.”

The donation of the photographic equipment is part of Kodak’s commitment as a Proud Partner of America’s National Parks. Through products, people and technology, Kodak is working closely with the National Park Foundation and the National Park Service to provide innovative ways to increase public awareness and appreciation of America’s 388 National Parks. In addition to the contribution to Keweenaw National Historical Park, Kodak is providing professional photography equipment worth more than $200,000 to 51 other National Parks and Proud Partners. Eastman Kodak Company is the world’s leader in imaging and supports conservation activities on local and national levels as one aspect of its cultural and environmental program.

The mission of the National Park Foundation, chartered by Congress, is to strengthen the enduring connection between the American people and their National Parks by raising private funds, making strategic grants, creating innovative partnerships and increasing public awareness. Since its establishment, the National Park Foundation has helped to fund important conservation, preservation and education efforts. The National Park Foundation grants over $31 million annually in cash, services or in-kind donations to the National Park Service and its partners. Grants range from small "seed" or start-up funding to larger, multi-year projects. For more information, visit the National Park Foundation’s website at www.nationalparks.org.

Did You Know?

Once the scene of buslting industry, the Quincy shaft-rock house at the number 2 shaft and accompanying hoist house sit silent today.

Despite ups and downs in copper production and prices, the Quincy Mining Company on Michigan's Keweenaw Peninsula was able to pay its investors dividends nearly every year from 1862 to 1920, earning it the nickname "Old Reliable." The company closed in 1945, but continued to operate the smelter until 1971.