• Underground Tamarack Trammer Car

    Keweenaw

    National Historical Park Michigan

Our Partners

Shafthousewithnewsign

The Keweenaw National Park Information sign at the Quincy Mine & Hoist illustrates how the park works in partnership with many entities.

NPS Photo, Dan Johnson.

When Keweenaw National Historical park was established in 1992, the park's enabling legislation mandated that the park would work with a wide variety of agencies, organizations and individuals to protect and interpret the natural and cultural resources relating to the copper mining story on the Keweenaw Peninsula. The park works with these partners on both a formal and informal basis. Our formal partners include the Keweenaw National Historical Park Advisory Commission, the Keweenaw Heritage Sites and the Isle Royale and Keweenaw Parks Association.
 

Did You Know?

Once the scene of buslting industry, the Quincy shaft-rock house at the number 2 shaft and accompanying hoist house sit silent today.

Despite ups and downs in copper production and prices, the Quincy Mining Company on Michigan's Keweenaw Peninsula was able to pay its investors dividends nearly every year from 1862 to 1920, earning it the nickname "Old Reliable." The company closed in 1945, but continued to operate the smelter until 1971.