Keweenaw National Historical Park Advisory Commission Members
Village of Calumet
Sue Dana is a fifth generation resident of the Keweenaw Peninsula and was involved with the national park movement at its inception in 1986, and with Keweenaw NHP since its successful establishment in 1992. She has been the comptroller for the Village of Calumet since 1986. Sue is currently on the boards of the Coppertown Mining Museum, Main Street Calumet, and the Keweenaw Peninsula Chamber of Commerce. She and her husband, Richard Dana live in Laurium.
Houghton County Board of Commissioners
Ed is a life-long resident of the Keweenaw Peninsula and a retired certified Food Service Executive. He is a former mayor of the Village of Laurium and currently represents the northern portion of Houghton County as the District 1 County Commissioner. Ed, his wife and two children live in Laurium.
State of Michigan
Al studied geology and engineering at Michigan Tech, earning BS, MS and PhD degrees. Dr. Johnson retired from MTU in 1998, after a career that included leadership positions in minerals and mining research and a professorship in mining engineering. Al and his wife, Mitzi, live year round in Houghton, where he remains active in organizations related to his professional and outdoor interests.
Charter Township of Calumet
Rev. Langseth received a B.D. from Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago and has been a parish pastor in Calumet for 33 years. From 1987-92, he chaired the community's National Park Committee. He is also on the boards of the Calumet Township Planning Commission, Keweenaw Heritage Center at St. Anne's and Keweenaw Community Foundation.
John, born and raised in Calumet is a retired Civil Engineer. He was a Principal with U.P. Engineers and Architects for 27 years and previous to that he spent 13 years with State and local governments. John is a volunteer at the Quincy Mine Hoist Association and the U.P. Firefighters Memorial Museum
Did You Know?
Despite ups and downs in copper production and prices, the Quincy Mining Company on Michigan's Keweenaw Peninsula was able to pay its investors dividends nearly every year from 1862 to 1920, earning it the nickname "Old Reliable." The company closed in 1945, but continued to operate the smelter until 1971.