John Brinckerhoff Jackson, a writer whose interpretations of the American landscape often celebrated the commonplace, once remarked, “landscape is history made visible.” The history of the Keweenaw Peninsula is certainly visible today in the historic mining communities, mines, worker housing, roads, churches, remnant orchards, commercial districts, abandoned railroad grades, stone ruins, farms and other widely dispersed historic landscape features.
The historic landscapes found on the Keweenaw Peninsula, along with the buildings and features they contain serve as tangible reminders of our nation’s copper mining heritage. They also reflect the culture, traditions and customs of the people who make their homes here today. Historic sites both within and outside the park invite each of us to make our own connections to this place.
The national historical park consists of two separate units - Quincy and Calumet - 12 miles apart. The two units are located at the sites of former large-scale mines. The Quincy Mining Company property illustrates the processes and technologies of copper mining. The social, ethnic, commercial, and company planned aspects of a mining community are revealed in the village of Calumet and the Calumet & Hecla properties.
Most of the property within the two units is privately owned. Please respect private property. As the park continues to develop, more services and facilities will become available. Contact the park for updated information.
Did You Know?
Despite ups and downs in copper production and prices, the Quincy Mining Company on Michigan's Keweenaw Peninsula was able to pay its investors dividends nearly every year from 1862 to 1920, earning it the nickname "Old Reliable." The company closed in 1945, but continued to operate the smelter until 1971.