• Underground Tamarack Trammer Car

    Keweenaw

    National Historical Park Michigan

Keweenaw Heritage Center at St. Anne's

The former St. Anne's Catholic Church along with the Union Building mark the entrance to Fifth Street in Calumet.
The former St. Anne's Catholic Church along with the Union Building mark the entrance to Fifth Street in Calumet.
NPS Photo, Dan Johnson.
 

St. Anne's, along with the other steeples and bell towers that dot the skyline of Calumet, provides insight into the community's ethnic diversity. The architectural firm of Charlton, Gilbert and Demar from Marquette designed the Gothic Revival style church for a growing French-Canadian population. Austrians, Italians, Slovenians, Croatians and the Polish also had their own Catholic Churches in Calumet. Prendergast and Clarkson Company, of Chicago, built the church out of local Jacobsville sandstone.

The former St. Anne's Church is now home to the Keweenaw Heritage Center. The center works to preserve and interpret the area's history and heritage through exhibits and educational programs.
Location: 25880 Red Jacket Road, Calumet, Michigan
Phone: (906) 337-4579
More information...

Did You Know?

Miners pose outside the #5 Tamarack Mine shaft in this 1908 photograph by Adolph F. Isler. Keweenaw NHP Archives.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of Michigan was home to one of our nation's first mineral rushes. Prospectors seeking copper travelled there in the middle 1840's, a few years before the "49'ers" sought gold out west. The story of this rush is told today at Keweenaw National Historical Park.