• Underground Tamarack Trammer Car

    Keweenaw

    National Historical Park Michigan

Industrial Calumet

Calumet & Hecla Mining Operations from Swedetown Hill circa 1900
(object placeholder)
 
The Calumet and Hecla (C&H) Mining Company grew from humble beginnings into the largest and most successful copper mining company in the Lake Superior region. C&H's success and fortune was due mainly to it's location on the copper-rich Calumet Conglomerate Lode. C&H's mine shafts and surface operations were constructed to effectively extract the copper-bearing ore.

Though quiet today, numerous structures remain in this former industrial landscape that allow visitors to connect with the stories of the people who once worked here. The former C&H General Office Building now serves as the Keweenaw National Historical Park Headquarters. The National Park Service also owns the former C&H Public Library and the former C&H Warehouse Number 1.

Did You Know?

Portrait of Alexander Agassiz

Alexander Agassiz, President of Calumet & Hecla Mining Company from 1871 to 1910, was the son of famed naturalist and Harvard professor, Louis Agassiz. Alexander's interest in copper mining was to fund his scientific travels. He became a specialist in marine ichthyology - the study of fish. More...