Parking Lots and Mountain Road Closing Early
On April 15, 16, and 17, 2014, the Visitor Center parking lot is closing at 5:30 and the mountain road is closing at 4 pm. Visitors are encouraged to use the overflow parking lot and the mountain trail to access the top of the mountain.
Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park Addition Protects Historic Battle Site
Contact: Matthew Shaffer, The Trust For Public Land, 415-800-5214
ATLANTA, GA. – A significant site in the Battle for Atlanta has been added to the nation's most visited Civil War battlefield site, The Trust for Public Land and The National Park Service announced today.
The site includes Nodine's Hill and it is now part of the Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park in metropolitan Atlanta. The 42-acre property saw fighting, particularly centered on Nodine's Hill, in the June 1864 Kennesaw Mountain battle, when the Confederate Army led by Gen. Joseph E. Johnston tried to halt the advance of Union forces led by Gen. William T. Sherman.
Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park is almost 3,000 acres and aside from protecting a major Civil War site, it also provides a variety of outdoor recreation opportunities in metro Atlanta. According to the NPS, Kennesaw Mountain is the nation's most visited Civil War site.
"Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park is a great destination for both history enthusiasts and nature lovers, and this addition to the park offers something for every visitor," said Curt Soper, Georgia state director for The Trust for Public Land. "It was particularly important to protect Nodine's Hill in the Civil War's sesquicentennial years and permanently preserve the site of fierce fighting in the Atlanta Campaign."
"As we approach the Civil War 150th commemoration of the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain, this is the opportune time to reaffirm our national commitment to the protection of these hallowed grounds and create a lasting legacy, one that will be enjoyed for generations to come," said Nancy Walther, Superintendent, Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park.
The Nodine's Hill land includes remnant Union entrenchments, rifle pits, and cannon placements.
After victories in 1863 at Vicksburg and Chattanooga, Sherman marched his Union forces south to Atlanta in May 1864. Johnston's forces defended Atlanta, in part by using the ridges of land northwest of the city to slow Sherman. By June 19, Johnston had retreated to a strong defensive position at Kennesaw Mountain near Marietta, 20 miles from the center of Atlanta. Kennesaw Mountain was the last major battle before Sherman's forces reached the outskirts of the city.
Known as Hays Farm, the property is also adjacent to a 58-acre, 40-home subdivision built after an unsuccessful conservation attempt in 2005.
Funding for the $1.76 million addition to the national park came from the Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF). LWCF is generated from offshore oil and gas receipts, rather than from taxpayer dollars. US. Senators Johnny Isakson and Saxby Chambliss and U.S. Representative Phil Gingrey (R-11) supported this conservation effort.
The National Park Trust is supporting and assisting in acquiring inholdings in National Parks across the country and provided financial support to The Trust for Public Land to protect this property. Additionally, National Park Trust and The Trust for Public Land were joined by the National Park Conservation Association, Civil War Trust, and the National Trust for Historic Preservation in advocating for the preservation of Hays Farm at Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park.
"The National Park Trust is very pleased to work with The Trust for Public Land on this important preservation effort," stated Jonathan Cohen, NPT board member. "In addition, as part of our commitment to engage local students with the importance of park preservation, NPT created an education module that aligns the science and history of the Kennesaw Battlefield with state standards. NPT also will bring nearly three hundred 5th-grade students from Hollydale Elementary and Fair Oaks Elementary to the park in November for a day of outdoor education."
Founded in 1972, The Trust for Public Land is the leading nonprofit working to conserve land for people. Operating from more than 30 offices nationwide, The Trust for Public Land has protected more than three million acres from the inner city to the wilderness and helped generate more than $34 billion in public funds for conservation. Nearly ten million people live within a ten-minute walk of a Trust for Public Land park, garden, or natural area, and millions more visit these sites every year. Learn more at tpl.org
Did You Know?
Nearly twenty buildings, including dwellings, churches and mills existed within the present battlefield boundary in 1864. Only the Kolb house, which has been rehabilitated to represent its historic exterior appearance, survives.