Pali Trail Reopens
November 5, 2010
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Steven Prokop, Superintendent, Kalaupapa National Historical Park
Phone: (808) 567-6802, ext. 1100
KALAUPAPA PALI TRAIL REOPENS TO GUIDED TOURS
Kalaupapa National Historical Park is pleased to announce that the Kalaupapa Pali Trail is now open after major trail and bridge repairs were recently completed. The trail was officially closed on April 13, 2010 due to heavy rains that caused a catastrophic landslide and washed away part of the trail and bridge that carries mules and pedestrians. To visit Kalaupapa, visitors must contact Kalaupapa Guided Mule Tour by calling (800) 567-7550 or 567-6088, or email email@example.com or contact Damien Tours by calling (808) 567-6171. The general public is reminded that anyone accessing the Kalaupapa Trail requires a permit from the State Department of Health
Repair of the Kalaupapa Pali Trail was the top priority of the National Park Service in the Pacific West Region of the United States because it is the only over land connection for visitors and residents to travel to Kalaupapa. The cost of the repair work was nearly $400,000 and involved trail crews from Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Haleakala National Park, and employees of Kalaupapa Guided Mule Tour. The bridge repair work required sophisticated engineering and geo-technical studies prior to installation. Historically, this portion of the trail has been the most hazardous and prone to wash-outs. Previous bridges installed over the past 25 years were temporary solutions and a more stable solution was needed to ensure the safety of visitors and mule trains along the trail. The new bridge, made of strong, light-weight aluminum, is supported by two solid footings that are literally bolted into the sheer cliff face at each end.
The National Park Service is indebted to Gloria Marks of Damien Tours and Buzzy Sproat and Roy Horner of the Kalaupapa Guided Mule Tour (previously known as Molokai Mule Ride) for their patience and understanding and recognizes that this trail closure has been a difficult time for both businesses.
Did You Know?
Father Damien and patient helpers enlarged St. Philomena Catholic Church, a tiny wooden structure built in 1872, by adding a nave in 1876. After the steeple collapsed in a wind storm, he began constructing the larger masonry and wood main nave in 1888, which is the church seen at Kalawao today.