St. Philomena Catholic Church in Kalawao
Photo by Gartley, Bishop Museum.
A small wooden building was being used for Catholic church services when Father Damien arrived at Kalawao in 1873. He and patient helpers enlarged the church twice. Brother Joseph Dutton completed the work after Damien's death in 1889.
Front entrance to St. Philomena Catholic Church.
The decorative window above the entry of the old section of the Church.