Active Bee Swarms on Pali Trail
Bee hives and swarms have been observed in the vicinity of switchback 26 on the Pali (cliff) Trail. Additional hives may be along the trail. Hikers should be observant of their surroundings and exercise caution.
Historic Building Preservation
Fun. Laughter. Excitement. These words describe the Kalaupapa Social Hall. Built in 1916, the hall hosted numerous recreational events and gatherings for all the residents of Kalaupapa. Isolated from the outside world both physically and socially, people needed a place for coming together, for socializing, for "talk story." Now they had a suitable structure for hosting movies, dances, theater performances and concerts.
The building served as the primary entertainment center for Kalaupapa, offering silent movies among other things, for the enjoyment of residents. In step with the times, the Board of Health in 1931 had equipment installed to handle talking pictures. It must have been an exciting day, October 9, 1931, when the first "talkie" was shown in Kalaupapa.
What kind of films did the residents enjoy? See a sample schedule from December 1948.
Today a few residents still remember those times when the social hall was in full swing, when the hall was filled and western thrillers had the audience enthralled. Commercial motion pictures were shown twice a week. Entertainers such as Edgar Bergen with Charlie McCarthy, John Wayne, and Shirley Temple made appearances. The hall was renamed Paschoal Hall in 1958 for Manuel G. Paschoal, a Hawai`i legislator who served as an advocate for the people of Kalaupapa.
Paschoal Hall Stabilization and Restoration
The National Park Service has stabilized and restored Paschoal Hall, the largest historic building in the settlement. Work was completed in three phases: stabilization, reroofing, and exterior and interior restoration. The historic preservation crew that worked on the building was comprised of Kalaupapa National Historical Park staff, while National Park Service and US Forest Service historic preservation specialists managed the project. Hawai`i’s US Senator Daniel Inouye acquired the funding for the project.
Between March-June 1998 deteriorated floor and wall framing and roof trusses were repaired or replaced . The composition roof that covered the 6,100 square foot building was replaced between October and December of 1998 with cedar shingles, the original material. Physical evidence of the original roofing material was found in the attic.
species, dimension, and surface finish. All windows were removed and rehabilitated in the park carpenter shop. An indoor accessible restroom was constructed. Paint analysis was conducted to recreate the same colors as were originally used.
Today, Paschoal Hall is the pride of the community and hosts movies, performances, community meetings and rallies, and showcases exhibits that teach visitors about park history and the significance of the historic social hall.
Bay View Home
New patients at Kalaupapa found themselves in an unfamiliar environment, without family or friends. Group homes helped people adjust by meeting both physical and social needs. Bay View Home, first established in 1901, served as a group home for older, disabled, and blind residents. Patients at Bay View shared meals in a central dining room, and received round-the-clock nursing care. In the afternoon, patients would line the lanai, or porch, of the home to take in the views. Those who could see would give the blind a running description, in Hawaiian, of everything they saw.
A recent major building rescue is Bayview 6. This building was constructed in 1917 and served as the dining hall for Bayview Home. The Kalaupapa settlement was organized into housing areas or "homes". Each home had dormitories, cottages, and a central kitchen & dining hall. Bayview 6 was the kitchen & dining hall for the Bayview Home.
After its use as the dining hall, Bayview 6 was used as an arts and crafts shop, an important physical therapy for the residents.
The repair project involves removal of the porch (or lanai in Hawaiian), repair of the concrete foundation posts, replacement of damaged beams and siding, and roof replacement.
The building was eventually restored and transferred to the National Park Service. Today it is used for offices.
Did You Know?
On April 15, 1969, exactly 80 years after his death, a statue of Father Damien was unveiled in Statuary Hall in the United States Capitol. An identical statue can also be found in front of Hawaii's State Capitol in Honolulu.