• Sunrise at the Cholla Cactus Garden

    Joshua Tree

    National Park California

There are park alerts in effect.
show Alerts »
  • Cottonwood Trails Closed

    Trail access remains closed to Cottonwood Spring Oasis, Lost Palms Oasis, and Mastodon Peak. More »

  • Pinto Basin Road Under Construction; Expect 30+ Minute Travel Delays

    Visitors should expect 30+ minute waits when heading north and sound bound on the Pinto Basin Road. Due to construction activity around Cottonwood Visitor Center, additional waits of 30 minutes may be in place when leaving the visitor center parking lot. More »

  • Deteriorating conditions of Black Rock Canyon Road

    The road leading to Black Rock campground has deep potholes, is deeply rutted, and can be difficult to negotiate, especially in large vehicles. Please drive with caution.


Backcountry Permits
A permit is not required for day hiking in the backcountry. You are “permitted” to camp in the backcountry when you park and register at a backcountry registration board. There is no fee.
Bolting Permits
The rules that govern the placement of fixed anchors are complex. A permit may, or may not, be required depending on a number of factors. Please study the guidelines carefully as you are responsible for following them.

Filming Permits
Commercial filming or photography requires a filming permit. Permits are not required for visitors using cameras for personal use or for film or video news crews at breaking news events.

There are two applications for a filming permit: The short form (136 KB PDF) is intended for less complex activities and a crew of ten or fewer people. The long form (231 KB PDF) should be used for activities of greater complexity requiring a crew of more than ten. All applicants must use the current application forms available here; if you have downloaded forms in the past, they may be obsolete.


Special Use Permits
A special-use permit is required for activities that provide a benefit to an individual, group, or organization, rather than the public at large, and that require some degree of management from the National Park Service in order to protect park resources and the public interest.

Special-use permits are required for events such as: weddings, ceremonies, First Amendment activities, festivals, concerts, cultural programs, sporting events, and public spectator attractions. You may download a special-use application form. For questions about special-use permits, call 760-367-5545.


Scientific Research and Collecting Permits
A permit is required to engage research activities in the park. Fees are not charged for the permit, but an annual activity report must be submitted. Permit applications are completed online then reviewed by discipline specialists, who will contact the applicant for further information.

Did You Know?

Red Spotted Toad

The red-spotted toad is a true denizen of the desert, where it spends most of its life underground. Found from one end of the park to the other, it appears after good, soaking rains. More...