The South Fork Fishing and Hunting Club:
The South Fork Fishing and Hunting Club was formed in 1879 and its first president, Benjamin Ruff, worked diligently to get some of the most prominent men of the Pittsburgh area interested in his venture. The original charter included sixteen men, climbing to 61 in 1889. The members bought shares in the corporation at one hundred dollars apiece, and it seemed almost a requirement to purchase two. Within a few years several cottages and a clubhouse had been built along the shores of the lake. Who owned the cottages is anyone's guess since the only record of who stayed in which cottage belongs to local folklore. But regardless of this matter, the club was a welcome departure from the smoke and dirt of Pittsburgh.
The men that came here hunted, fished, sailed, and had shooting competitions. It was a place far removed from the business of business in Pittsburgh, but not too far, considering the city was only a few hours away by rail.
The South Fork Fishing and Hunting Club
The South Fork Dam:
Did You Know?
Some survivors were housed in "Oklahoma" houses, one of the first kind of temporary prefabricated homes ever made. Others lived in Red Cross "hotels."