The museum collection at John Fitzgerald Kennedy National Historic Site is the primary resource contributing to the site's significance as a memorial. The objects constitute an assemblage specifically created for the birthplace by Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy with the intent that they be seen by the public. As part of the 1966-1969 restoration effort, a collection of household furnishings, photographs and significant mementos were personally collected and arranged in the principal rooms of the home by Mrs. Kennedy and her consultant, Jordan Marsh interior decorator Robert Luddington. Many pieces in the collection are original to the family's tenure in the house; others are Kennedy family pieces, appropriate antiques, or period reproductions selected for interpretive value. After restoration and refurnishing were completed, Mrs. Kennedy donated the house and its contents to the National Park Service.
Did You Know?
In 1914, Joe and Rose Kennedy married and moved to 83 Beals Street where they spent six years and had four of nine children. In 1969, Rose Kennedy donated the house to the National Park Service as “a gift…to the American people.” Since then, more than 500,000 visitors have toured this modest home.