The lives of the Acadians (Cajuns) and others whose travels brought them to Louisiana's bayous are featured at the Wetlands Acadian Cultural Center in Thibodaux. Explore recreation, clothing, home furnishings, religion, cuisine, and fishing through exhibits, artifacts, videos, and films. A 200-seat theater is used for productions by the Thibodaux Playhouse, Inc., and other programs. Kids can earn a badge with the Junior Ranger program. The center's museum store has CDs, craft items, and books from cookbooks to children's stories on sale. Admission to the center and to most programs is free. Click here for directions and program listings for specific dates.
314 St. Mary Street, Thibodaux
Open Monday-Tuesday 9:00 a.m.-7:00 p.m. and Wednesday-Friday 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. The center is also open 8:00-11:00 a.m. on Farmer's Market Saturdays (check with the center for dates). Closed on federal holidays and Mardi Gras (Tuesday, February 17, in 2015). Useful information about public transportation, regulations on pets, etc., is available here.
Regularly scheduled programs:.
- Free Cajun music jam every Monday 5:30-7:00 p.m. Bring an instrument and play along with local musicians or just enjoy! No jam Monday, September 1; center closed for Labor Day.
- Cercle Francophone invites you to come pass a good time speaking French (Cajun or otherwise) 5:30-7:00 p.m. every Tuesday. Free. Help keep French alive in Louisiana---and if you don't speak French, come on along to watch linguistic history in action.
- Boat tours on Bayou Lafourche cruise into Louisiana's past in fall and spring. Learn more here.
Special events and programs:
- Field trips for schools and other groups by reservation.
- Summer camps for kids. See you in 2015!
- Thibodaux-area students participate in First Bloom, a National Park Foundation program aimed at connecting students to nature and national parks. The students have designed and planted a native plant garden at the center. Visit the First Bloom website to check out their work and and see more First Bloom adventures here.