WETLANDS ACADIAN CULTURAL CENTER CLOSED ON SATURDAY, OCTOBER 17, SO THAT STAFF MAY WORK AT EXPERIENCE LOUISIANA FESTIVAL IN EUNICE (stop by and say hello at the National Park Service tent in the folklife area). OCTOBER 17 FARMERS MARKET IS STILL SCHEDULED.
The lives of the Acadians (Cajuns) and others whose travels brought them to Louisiana's bayous are featured at the Wetlands Acadian Cultural Center in Thibodaux. Explore recreation, clothing, home furnishings, religion, cuisine, and fishing through exhibits, artifacts, videos, and films. A 200-seat theater is used for productions by the Thibodaux Playhouse, Inc., and other programs. Kids can earn a badge with the Junior Ranger program. The center's museum store has CDs, craft items, and books from cookbooks to children's stories on sale. Admission to the center and to most programs is free. Follow these links for the park's calendar of events, exhibits, and programs; for directions and transportation options; and for accessibility information.
314 St. Mary Street, Thibodaux
Open Monday-Tuesday 9:00 a.m.-7:00 p.m. and Wednesday-Friday 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. The center is also open 8:00-11:00 a.m. on Farmer's Market Saturdays. Closed on federal holidays and Mardi Gras (Tuesday, February 17, in 2015). Useful information about public transportation, regulations on pets, etc., is available here.
Regularly scheduled programs:
- Free Cajun music jam every Monday 5:00-7:00 p.m. Bring an instrument and play along with local musicians or just enjoy! No jam Monday, October 12; center closed for Columbus Day.
- Free walking tour of historic Thibodaux Tuesday-Thursday at 2:00 p.m. Join a ranger for a one-mile stroll through local history.
- Cercle Francophone invites you to come pass a good time speaking French (Cajun or otherwise) 5:30-7:00 p.m. every Tuesday. Help keep French alive in Louisiana---and if you don't speak French, come on along to watch linguistic history in action. Free.
- The Thibodaux Farmer's Market offers fresh produce, baked goods, and local favorites next to the Wetlands Acadian Cultural Center 8:00 a.m.-noon on Saturdays in spring and fall. Free.
- Boat tours on Bayou Lafourche cruise into Louisiana's past in fall and spring. Fall 2015 cruising season is October through December 18. Learn more here.
Special events and programs: