Columbus Day Closures
All park sites closed Monday, October 13, for Columbus Day. Follow the link for information about park hours and days and about access to the Barataria Preserve and Chalmette Battlefield/Chalmette National Cemetery on holidays. More »
Return to the War of 1812 with cannons, campfires, and British and American troops and civilians. Over 100 living history experts in period dress will bring the sights and sounds of the Battle of New Orleans to life at Chalmette Battlefield, 8606 West St. Bernard Highway in Chalmette. Events include:
- Wednesday, January 8 - 10:00 a.m. wreath-laying ceremony at the battlefield's Chalmette Monument honors the men who fought at the Battle of New Orleans. Free. Park at battlefield.
- Friday, January 10 - 9:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m. living history encampment with cannon and musket firings, military drills, and period crafts. Free.
- Friday, January 10 - 7:00 p.m. reenactment of the December 23, 1814, night battle. Hosted by St. Bernard Parish Government and the Louisiana Living History Foundation. Free.
- Saturday, January 11 - 9:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m. living history encampment with cannon and musket firings, military drills, and period crafts. Free.
- Saturday, January 11 - Lantern Tour of the battlefield "the night before the battle." First tour begins at 5:45 p.m.; last tour begins at 7:15 p.m. Advance tickets only; ticket sales begin December 3.
For complete information including firing schedules, maps, public parking location, etc., click here.