• Looking up at the Gateway Arch

    Jefferson

    National Expansion Memorial Missouri

Exhibits at the Arch

National Park Service Fee Demonstration Program
In 1995, Congress authorized the Recreational Fee Demonstration Program. In 1998, Jefferson National Expansion Memorial was selected as one of 100 national park areas authorized to retain 80% of the fees collected at the park. The remaining 20% is placed in a fund for the use of all national park areas. Of all entrance and use fees you pay at this park, 80% stays here. These funds are used for maintenance projects and enhanced visitor services.

Tram Ride Load Zones Exhibits
Visitors waiting in the queue areas to ride the trams to the top can experience two unique exhibits. The first exhibit (in the South Tram load zone) is "When Riverboats Ruled" where you can witness a day on the St. Louis riverfront - a bustling, vibrant area of steamboats and commerce. The second exhibit (in the North Tram load zone) is "Fitting the Final Piece," which transports visitors to the memorable morning of October 28, 1965 as the last section of the Arch was lifted into place. Both are part of the project "Journey to the Top" sponsored by Jefferson National Expansion Memorial and Bi-State Development Agency.

Facade for the Tucker Theater
Jay Tschetter, of Lincoln, Nebraska installed a monumental brick mural surrounding the entrance of the Tucker Theater to help commemorate those responsible for the existence of the Arch structure. Coordinating with the existing brick mural surrounding the Odyssey Theatre on the opposite side of the lobby, the mural features those responsible for the Arch's construction, and compares the Arch to other national monuments. Jay Tschetter is also the artist who created the Odyssey Theatre's brick mural "Pioneers of Light", featuring photographers of the 19th century. The Tucker Theater brick mural was officially unveiled to the public on June 26, 1998. The mural stands from floor to ceiling, 15 feet high by almost 50 feet wide!

Lewis and Clark Photomural Exhibit
This exhibit is on permanent display on the back wall of the Museum of Westward Expansion under the Gateway Arch. The exhibit consists of 33 large format murals depicting campsites and places where major events took place in the Corps of Discovery Expedition from 1804-1806. The original exhibit was installed when the museum opened in 1976. These original dye transfer murals were in need of repair. Last year this exhibit was recreated using the original mural transparencies. Photographer David Muench was hired by the National Park Service in the 1970s to take photos of the locations in the Lewis and Clark journals. Muench traveled to these locations and documented the areas in exactly the same time frame when Lewis and Clark were there. Due to this magnificent documentation, the museum now holds some of, or possibly the most magnificent photo murals in the National Park Service.

If you are unable to visit these glorious 15-foot high photo murals on display at the Museum of Westward Expansion in person, you can visit them online.







Did You Know?

The Old Courthouse

The Old Courthouse at the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial was a gathering place for pioneers going west. It was also the site of several important nineteeth century trials which helped fuel major changes to the American way of life. To learn more about the Old Courthouse click here. More...