Pedestrian Access to the Gateway Arch From Downtown
Pedestrian traffic on the Chestnut, Market St. and Pine St. bridges are closed. This leaves Walnut St. as the only point of entry to the Arch grounds from the city. If you park in the Arch garage there is access from the north end of the park. See maps. More »
Special Exhibit on the Underground Railroad
Contact: Bob Moore, 314-655-1600
Contact: Myron Freedman, 314-655-1600
WHERE: Jefferson National Expansion Memorial, Historic Old Courthouse at 11 NorthFourth Street in downtown St. Louis, Missouri
WHEN: May 1, 2007 – August 31, 2007, daily from 8:00 a. m. to 4:30 p. m.
WHAT: A new photographic exhibition entitled Freedom’s Struggle: The Underground Railroad along the Ohio River in Kentucky and Indiana,” developed by Willie Johnson, a retired Indiana State Parks interpreter. The exhibit tells the story of the Underground Railroad through modern photos of historic sites that evoke the journey made by 19th century slaves. Mr. Johnson researched, documented, and interpreted in 35 beautiful black and white photographs known routes and stops used by African-American slaves who dreamed of freedom by secretly crossing to the north side of the Ohio River. St. Louis’s historic connection to African-American individuals struggling for freedom is also explored with images commemorating the Mary Meacham Freedom Crossing, William Wells Brown, and Dred Scott and the Historic Old Courthouse. The exhibition is free.
WHY: The Historic Old Courthouse was the scene of the suit of Dred and Harriet Scott for their freedom, which resulted in the 1857 Supreme Court decision that helped spark the Civil War. Many other cases and court actions involved slave sales and emancipations, and the Old Courthouse was a center of the African American struggle toward freedom in the 19th century. The National Park Service is spotlighting this heritage during this 150th year of the Dred Scott Decision through exhibits, films, programs and special events.
The Historic Old Courthouse is open daily from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. year-round. All ranger-led and special museum programs are FREE of charge. Fees are charged for the tram ride to the top of the Gateway Arch and for the films shown in the Gateway Arch visitor center. For additional information, call 314/655-1700 weekdays, or 7-1-1 voice/TTY Telecommunications Relay Service. Visit us at www.nps.gov/jeff or for more information visit www.dredscottanniversary.org.
Did You Know?
On September 10, 1804 on Cedar Island, in South Dakota, William Clark discovered the fossilized remains of the ribs, backbone and teeth of a plesiosaur. Plesiosaurs were animals who lived at the same time as the dinosaurs, but swam rather than walking on land. Clark thought it was a giant fish bone! More...