Pedestrian Access to the Gateway Arch From Downtown
Pedestrian traffic on the Chestnut, Market St. and Pine St. bridges are closed. This leaves Walnut St. as the only point of entry to the Arch grounds from the city. If you park in the Arch garage there is access from the north end of the park. See maps. More »
Ranger Led Bike Tours Summer 2014
Contact: Ann Honious, 314-655-1614
Tours begin at the Downtown Bicycle Station at 1011 Locust Street, taking the riders along the riverfront trail to the Mary Meachum Freedom Crossing site, a distance of approximately 7 miles roundtrip. The tours last two to three hours, making several stops along the way to provide St. Louis history, to include: the Lewis and Clark Expedition; commerce on the Mississippi; and the Underground Railroad. After a short break at the Mary Meachum Freedom Crossing site to discuss the Underground Railroad, riders can continue riding north on the trail on their own, or return to the Downtown Bicycle Station with the Ranger.
Reservations are required, and the tour is limited to 25 riders. Riders should arrive at the Downtown Bicycle Station at 8:30 am to double check their bicycles to ensure they are operating properly, complete bicycle rental process (if applicable), and attend a short bicycle safety orientation given by the Ranger.
WHERE: Downtown Bicycle Station at 1011 Locust Street
TIME: 8:30 AM each Saturday, May 31 through September 27, 2014
COST: Free and open to the public.
CONTACT: For reservations (required) call 314-655-1654.
ABOUT: The Gateway Arch and the Old Courthouse are part of Jefferson National Expansion Memorial, located on the riverfront in downtown St. Louis. The Gateway Arch is open daily from 8 am to 10 pm, except during the winter months, when hours are 9 am to 6 pm, from Labor Day through Memorial Day weekend. The Old Courthouse is open daily year-round from 8 am to 4:30 pm. The Gateway Arch and Old Courthouse are closed Thanksgiving, Christmas Day and New Year's Day. Most programs are FREE of charge and open to the public. Programs and events at the park are made possible by the generous support from our cooperating association, Jefferson National Parks Association, and Bi-State Development Agency. For more information about programs and events, please call 877.982.1410 or go to gatewayarch.com.
Did You Know?
On September 10, 1804 on Cedar Island, in South Dakota, William Clark discovered the fossilized remains of the ribs, backbone and teeth of a plesiosaur. Plesiosaurs were animals who lived at the same time as the dinosaurs, but swam rather than walking on land. Clark thought it was a giant fish bone! More...