Pedestrian Access to the Gateway Arch From Downtown
Pedestrian traffic on the Chestnut, Market St. and Pine St. bridges will be closed. This leaves Walnut St. and Washington Ave. as the Arch grounds points of entry to and from the city. See link for maps. More »
Lewis and Clark Exhibit Looks at the Aftermath
Contact: Terry Weber 314-655-1717
LEWIS AND CLARK EXHIBIT LOOKS AT THE AFTERMATH OF THE EXPEDITION FROM THE VANTAGE POINT OF ST. LOUIS
ST. LOUIS, Mo. — From March 1, 2008 to November 30, 2008, Jefferson National Expansion Memorial will reopen a major exhibit beneath the Gateway Arch detailing the after-expedition lives of Meriwether Lewis and William Clark.
Entitled Lewis and Clark: Remaking the American West, 1808-1838, the exhibit takes a look at an aspect of the explorers’ lives not usually discussed: their role in bringing American policies, laws, and commerce to St. Louis and the trans-Mississippi West, including the controversial removal of Indian tribes from their homelands. On display in the special exhibit gallery in the Museum of Westward Expansion, this exhibit of period artifacts, books and documents brings the world the explorers knew between 1808 and 1838 to life while charting the importance of St. Louis to their trek.
The Gateway Arch is open daily 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. during the summer). The Old Courthouse is open daily from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. year-round. All ranger-led and special museum programs are FREE of charge. Fees are charged for the tram ride to the top of the Gateway Arch and for the films shown in the Gateway Arch visitor center. For additional information, call 314/655-1700 weekdays, 7-1-1 Voice/TTY Telecommunications Relay Service or visit www.nps.gov/jeff.
Did You Know?
Meriwether Lewis took his Newfoundland dog Seaman on the Lewis and Clark expedition? Seaman made the entire trip with the Corps and is credited with waking the members when a bison entered the camp and almost trampled them. Click here to learn more about Lewis and Clark. More...