Lewis and Clark Exhibit Looks at the Aftermath
Contact: Terry Weber 314-655-1717
LEWIS AND CLARK EXHIBIT LOOKS AT THE AFTERMATH OF THE EXPEDITION FROM THE VANTAGE POINT OF ST. LOUIS
ST. LOUIS, Mo. — From March 1, 2008 to November 30, 2008, Jefferson National Expansion Memorial will reopen a major exhibit beneath the Gateway Arch detailing the after-expedition lives of Meriwether Lewis and William Clark.
Entitled Lewis and Clark: Remaking the American West, 1808-1838, the exhibit takes a look at an aspect of the explorers’ lives not usually discussed: their role in bringing American policies, laws, and commerce to St. Louis and the trans-Mississippi West, including the controversial removal of Indian tribes from their homelands. On display in the special exhibit gallery in the Museum of Westward Expansion, this exhibit of period artifacts, books and documents brings the world the explorers knew between 1808 and 1838 to life while charting the importance of St. Louis to their trek.
The Gateway Arch is open daily 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. during the summer). The Old Courthouse is open daily from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. year-round. All ranger-led and special museum programs are FREE of charge. Fees are charged for the tram ride to the top of the Gateway Arch and for the films shown in the Gateway Arch visitor center. For additional information, call 314/655-1700 weekdays, 7-1-1 Voice/TTY Telecommunications Relay Service or visit www.nps.gov/jeff.