• Looking up at the Gateway Arch

    Jefferson

    National Expansion Memorial Missouri

There are park alerts in effect.
hide Alerts »
  • Due to the Industrial Rope Access Project at the Gateway Arch

    Visitors may enter the Arch at the south leg only. Tram rides to the top are still available, the observation deck at the top will have restrictions. Usual walking paths may be closed; please look for signage or a Ranger for walking directions.

Donald Dosch Papers

Read the full version of the finding aid. (PDF) Finding Aid by Evette Miller

March 1989, Revised August 1992

This collection was created as Donald F. Dosch, National Park Service Historian, was researching the history of St. Louis' Old Courthouse. In 1969 he wrote a brief history of the building, which would later be enlarged and published as The Old Courthouse in 1979.

In the three chapters of the book Dosch examines first the history of the building itself, that is, the construction and architectural significance of the Old Courthouse. Secondly, he delves into the historical figures and events which are associated with the Old Courthouse. As Dosch stated in the prologue, the Old Courthouse "served as a public forum as well as a temple of justice. The gatherings held here not only dealt with matters of local importance, but also reflected many of the great movements and events in the nation's history." The third and final chapter is devoted to the actual business of the various courts.

In preparation for writing, Dosch took notes on many aspects of the Old Courthouse. These notes from primary and secondary sources make up the first series. Series 2 contains notes about historical buildings and sites in St. Louis. Series 3 and 4 contain the photographs and manuscripts which would eventually be published as The Old Courthouse.

Researchers are advised that before records, photographs, or any other unpublished materials from this collection can be published or exhibited, permission from the National Park Service must be obtained in writing.

If you have questions regarding archives holdings, contact Archivist Jennifer Clark at the JNEM Archives at (voice) 314-655-1600. Appointments are encouraged, if possible.

 

Did You Know?

1843 letter

The Museum of Westward Expansion at the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial contains over 150 quotes from diaries, journals, letters and speeches. The designers of the museum felt the actual words of nineteenth century pioneers were the most powerful way to tell their story. Click to learn more. More...