Programs are scheduled on weekdays from October through May, no weekends or holidays. There is a $30.00 interpretive fee for each program. All reservations must be made in advance. To arrange a program, call the Interpretive Program Coordinator at (757) 898-2411 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. To ensure a program for your class, please call at least two months and no more than five months in advance.
Payment must be made by check and received within 30 days of making the reservation. Reservation fees not paid within this time frame may be canceled, and the time slot made available to other groups. Cancellations must be made no less than two weeks prior to the date of the program to receive a Program Voucher which can be applied toward a future program. Bad weather, such as snow, ice, hurricanes, or other severe emergencies may also allow a group to qualify for a Program Voucher to be applied toward a future program.
Procedures for reserving an Educational Interpretive Program:
1. Review the Park's Educational program offerings and decide which program best meets the needs of your students. Keep in mind the various school constraints you may have such as time available, number of students, length of program, traveling distance and time to get to the park and your bus scheduling.
2. Call Colonial National Historic Park's Interpretive Program Coordinator at (757) 898-2411. Request the program, date and time. Your group will be tentatively scheduled for a program. To confirm the program send a check for $30.00 per program made out to the National Park Service.
Interpretive Program Coordinator
3. Checks must be received by the park within 30 days of making the reservation. Once your check is received your program reservation will be confirmed.
4. A letter will be mailed to your group confirming the date, time, type of program and name of your group.
5. Please check-in at the National Park Service Visitor Center at least 15 minutes prior to the start time of your program to register your group. All programs begin at the Visitor Center. Groups who arrive more than 15 minutes late for a program may have their programs canceled.
6. Educational groups may be eligible for a waiver of entrance fees to the park. Note that fee waivers only apply to the admission fees for the park and not to the program fees. Additional information on Educational Entrance Fee Waivers may be obtained by reviewing the Academic Fee Waiver web page or by calling the Interpretive Program Coordinator as indicated above.