Every 2nd Wednesday of every month. from 03/13/2013 to 12/09/2015Location: Mentor Public Library, 8215 Mentor Avenue Time: 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM Fee Information: Free
Join James A. Garfield NHS staff and volunteers at Mentor Public Library on the second Wednesday of each month for a new talk on Major Battles of the Civil War. Please call the library for FREE reservations - 440-255-8811
2013 topics include:
- April 2 - , The Military Draft in the Civil War - The Union and Confederacy both instituted drafts during the Civil War in order to fill the ranks of their armies.These drafts were necessary but still hated by many in the North and South.Learn more about the drafts, how they worked, and what happened when the public opposed them.
- May 8 - The Battle of Chancellorsville - Robert E. Lee and his Army of Northern Virginia won a major victory at Chancellorsville in May 1863, setting the stage for the South's second invasion of the North and the battle of Gettysburg.
- June 12 - The Siege of Vicksburg - Orchestrated by Ulysses S. Grant to cut off the Confederacy's last bastion on the Mississippi River, the siege and eventual surrender of Vicksburg, Miss. was a critical Union victory during the summer of 1863.
- July 10 - The Battle of Gettysburg - The July 1-3, 1863 battle of Gettysburg is among the Civil War's most famous battles and is one of the most studied military engagements in the history of the world.Come learn more about the Union victory sometimes called the "high tide of the Confederacy."
- August 14 - The Battle of Chattanooga - The battle of Chickamauga was a major western victory for the Confederacy.Fought in Georgia September 19-20, 1863, it is also the most famous battle at which Gen. James A. Garfield fought while serving in the Union army.
- September 11 - The Battle of Chickamauga - The battle of Chickamauga was a major western victory for the Confederacy.Fought in Georgia September 19-20, 1863, it is also the most famous battle at which Gen. James A. Garfield fought while serving in the Union army.
- October 9 - Cavalry in the Civil War - Learn more about the uses, tactics, and weapons of Union and Confederate cavalry during the Civil War.Exploits of such famed cavalrymen as Jeb Stuart, John Buford, and others will also be discussed.
- November 13 - The Battle of Lookout Mountain - This month, explore the November 1863 battle of Lookout Mountain, a famous engagement during Ulysses S. Grant's Chattanooga campaign against Confederate forces.
- December 11 - Artillery in the Civil War - Artillery is known as "the king of battle."How did Civil War armies deploy and use artillery against one another?Learn more about artillery uses, tactics, and weapons during the Civil War.