• Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore

    Indiana Dunes

    National Lakeshore Indiana

There are park alerts in effect.
show Alerts »
  • Mount Baldy Area is Closed

    The Mount Baldy area is closed due to hazardous conditions until further notice.

Great Lakes Research and Education Center

Field Research Station contains laboratory and office space for visiting researchers.

The GLREC Field Research Station, an adaptive reuse of a Sears catalog house built in 1910.

Photo by Joy Marburger

The Great Lakes Research and Education Center (GLREC) is part of a network of Research Learning Centers established by the National Park Service in 2000. The role of the Research Learning Centers is to increase the effectiveness and communication of research and science results in national parks. They do this by facilitating the use of parks for scientific inquiry, supporting science informed decision making, communicating the relevance of and providing access to knowledge gained through scientific research, and promoting science literacy and resource stewardship.

The GLREC serves 10 parks in the NPS Great Lakes Network. Two staff members and the GLREC field station are located at Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore. The field station has laboratory equipment and office space for visiting scientists interested in pursuing research or monitoring involving natural or cultural resources in the network parks.

 

GLREC Staff:

Joy Marburger, Ph.D.
Research Coordinator
Great Lakes Research and Education Center
Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore
1100 N. Mineral Springs Rd.
Porter, IN 46304
(219)395-1544
e-mail us

Wendy Smith
Education Coordinator
Great Lakes Research and Education Center Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore
1100 N. Mineral Springs Rd.
Porter, IN 46304
(219)395-1987
e-mail us

 

Did You Know?

two horses pulling a machine use to rake hay with a farmer riding on the rake

In 1972, Chellberg Farm became part of Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore. In the mid-1800s many Swedes settled in Porter County. Three generations of Chellbergs farmed this land.