Credit: NPS, 2009
Fort Vancouver. The blacksmith shop was built between 1836 and 1841, and the current building was reconstructed in 1981. The exterior walls are constructed of chinked, horizontal infill timbers placed between vertical posts at the first story, and board and batten wood siding above on the gable ends.
The blacksmith shop was one of the improvements made by the Hudson's Bay Company at the fort, associated with the expanded economic base of the company and designed to make the fort self-sustaining.
Download 178 KB