The first and second warehouses were filled with barrels, bags and bundles of trade goods consisting of dry goods, tools, guns, gunpowder, and foodstuffs. The third warehouse, marked at its entrance by a locked door leading to a lower storage area, was used as a supply depot in 1846 during the war with Mexico. The last warehouse was the "bank vault" of Bent's Fort , containing buffalo robes, beaver pelts, and the furs of a variety of other animals. Buffalo hides were purchased for 25 cents in trade goods, and in turn were sold for $3 to $6. After being pressed in the fur press, each bale contained 8 to 10 buffalo robes, and weighed 100 pounds. Every year, as many as 15,000 of these bundled robes were carried by wagon to Independence, Missouri and then by riverboat to be traded in St. Louis.
Download 28 KB