This gallery has photos taken by our archaeologists inside Montezuma Castle. Tours into the Castle were closed in 1951 due to deterioration. Today staff archaeologists only enter the Castle when needed for monitoring and preservation activities.
The interior of the castle remains almost completely intact, with many of the original ceiling support beams still in place. These logs were first installed over 800 years ago by the Sinagua Indians who built what we now call Montezuma Castle.
From the top floor of the ruin, it is possible to see inside several additional rooms that are not easily accessed today. When the Sinagua culture occupied the dwelling, these rooms would have been covered over and used for food preperation, storage, or sleeping areas.