Maurice Bathhouse Video
Hello. I'm Ranger Mark Blaeuer and we're at the Maurice Bathhouse on Bathhouse Row, Hot Springs National Park. The Maurice opened in 1912; it was built during 1911 and opened New Year's Day. It was owned by Billy Maurice. His father Charles had come here years before. The Maurice Bathhouse stands on the site of an earlier Maurice Bathhouse. This one is Mediterranean in style, designed by architect George ?Grime who had an office in New York. The sun porch in front is now enclosed because just three years after this building opened, it was extensively renovated. It was one of the two most elegant bathhouses on Bathhouse Row and was quite a rival with the Fordyce Bathhouse next door. Sam Fordyce had waited until Billy Maurice had finished his building in 1912 before he tore down the Palace Bathhouse and built the Fordyce. That opened in 1915. As soon as the Fordyce was done with Mann and Stern, Billy Maurice hired Mann and Stern to extensively renovate the Maurice. Even though it had been built as the "Bathhouse Beautiful" when it opened in 1912, it was overshadowed for those three years. In that renovation, the architects enclosed the sun porch in front, they added a Roycroft Den inside which contained a pool table and stained glass skylight. In fact, there were several stained glass skylights in this building in the bath halls that certainly competed well with the stained glass skylights in the Fordyce. This building closed in 1974. It is for lease at this time. All of these bathhouses are part of a National Historic Landmark District, the Bathhouse Row NHL District. Again, this was one of the more elegant bathhouses on the row.
Read more about the history of this building.
Did You Know?
Hot Springs Reservation, the first designation of Hot Springs National Park, was set aside by Congress in 1832. This makes Hot Springs National Park the oldest unit in the national park system, 40 years older than Yellowstone National Park.