RFP for Maurice and Libbey Bathhouses
Requests for Proposals for the Maurice and Libbey Bathhouses are being accepted from 7/7/14 to 1/30/15. Click on the "Management" link in the left column for more information.
Hot Springs National Park regrets to announce that the elevator in the Fordyce Visitor Center is closed for maintenance. The upper and lower levels are accessible only by stairways. The elevator will be placed back into service in about 4 to 6 weeks.
Originally called Whittington Lake Reserve when it was built in the late 1890s, this tree-shaded greenway is located along Whittington Creek between West Mountain and Sugarloaf Mountain. It was named for early Hot Springs resident and businessman Hiram A. Whittington.
Whittington Park once featured two shallow rowing lakes, several pavillions, tennis courts, carriage drives, and a caretaker's house, but today it simply offers quiet trails for walkers and joggers.
Did You Know?
In May 1862, Arkansas Governor Henry Massie Rector moved the state government to his hotel and bathhouse located on Hot Springs Reservation, now Hot Springs National Park. That July, the government seat was moved further south to Old Washington for the remainder of the Civil War.