The Homestead Act of 1862
1. Brief introduction to the National Park Service
2. How the United States acquired the land given
away under the Homestead Act of 1862
3. Impact of the Civil War on the Homestead Act of 1862
4. Requirements to claim land under the Homestead Act of 1862
5. The impacts of the Homestead Act of 1862
6. Summary and questions
The format includes lecture, visual aids and videos.
- exlore the impacts of the Civil War on the Homestead Act of 1862
- understand the requirements to claim Free Land under the Homestead Act of 1862
- engage in discussion about the impacts of the Homestead Act of 1862
How to Participate
Homestead National Monument of America is able to connect to students using several different technologies to include: H.323 (IP addresses), Facetime, Skype or through a conference call. If you do not see the connection you are specifically looking for, please contact us at the information below.
Homestead National Monument of America partners with the Center for Interactive Learning and Collaboration (CILC) to schedule programs. Accounts are free and there is no charge for any of our programs.
Please register for a program here.
If you are unable to register through CILC, please call Tina Miller, Education Coordinator, at (402) 223-3514 or contact her via e-mail.
- Grade Levels:
- Third Grade-Eighth Grade
- Colonial History, Education, Geography, History, Immigration, Law, Pioneer America, Westward Expansion
- National/State Standards:
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.3.1 through 3
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.4.1 through 3
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.5.1 through 3
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL6-8.1 through 3
- Homestead Act of 1862, Civil War, Westward Expansion, free land, pioneer
- Distance Learning