Hopewell Culture National Historical Park partners with local organizations to fulfill its mission to preserve, protect, and interpret the remnants of the park's five earthwork complexes and one additional site co-managed with the Arc of Appalachia.
The Arc of Appalachia Preserve System
The Spruce Hill works are owned by the Arc of Appalachia Perserve System and co-managed by Hopewell Culture NHP and Ross County Park District. Spruce Hill is one of the best remaining examples of hilltop enclosures fabricated by the Hopewell Culture. The non-profit Arc of Appalachia Preserve System was founded in 1995 as a grassroots organization to preserve forest and associated Eastern eco-systems, as well as ancient earthworks and historical buildings. For more information about The Arc, please click here to visit their website. To learn more about the story of how Spruce Hill was saved, click here.
Ohio Historical Society
The Seip Earthworks unit is co-owned with the Ohio Historical Society (OHS). Currently, while the majority of visitor facilities and land at this park unit are owned & managed by OHS, all property and facilities at Seip Earthworks will be relinquished to Hopewell Culture NHP / National Park Service on a date to be determined in 2014. The National Park Service has partnered with OHS since Hopewell Culture NHP's inception in 1923 (then Mound City Group National Monument) and will continue its partnership with OHS in order to preserve and protect the remnants of the Hopewell Culture.
Ross County Park District
Recreational trails at the Hopewell Mound Group are the result of a partnership with the Ross County Park District. This partner helped convert a mile of abandoned B & O railroad corridor to the Tri-County Triangle Trail. The Ross County Park District also co-manages Spruce Hill works with Hopewell Culture NHP and the Arc of Appalachia Preserve System.
Tri-County Triangle Trail
The multi-use trail at the Hopewell Mound Group is a partnership with the Tri-County Triangle Trail, a non-profit organization. The trail connects the towns of Chillicothe, Frankfort and Washington Court House via a 28+ mile paved section. Parking and restrooms are located adjacent to the trail at the park's Hopewell Mound Group facilities on Sulphur Lick Road. For more information about the Tri-County Triangle Trail, click here.
Did You Know?
The first publication of the Smithsonian Institution in 1848 was an extensive survey of archeology sites that included all of the sites at Hopewell Culture NHP. The book was authored by Ephraim Squier (left) and Edwin Davis (right), residents of the town of Chillicothe where Hopewell Culture NHP is located.