Map 2, Key to Diagram
Numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 constitute what is now the Arlington Hotel. The following names indicate former or present residents:
- Reverdy Johnson, Senator and Minister to England; James Buchanan and Benjamin Harrison, Presidents-elect; the Prince of Wales.
- William L. Marcy, Secretary of War and Secretary of State.
- Lewis Cass, Secretary of War and Secretary of State.
- Senator Charles Sumner.
- Senator Pomeroy.
- Lord Ashburton, British Ambassador.
- St. John’s Episcopal Church, attended by all the Presidents prior to Lincoln.
- John Hay, poet and historian.
- Henry Adams, author and grandson of President John Quincy Adams.
- Senator John Slidell; Walter A. Wood, inventor and manufacturer (present occupant).
- Senator Daniel Webster; Mr. Montothlon, French Ambassador; William Corcoran, banker (last occupant).
- Admiral Shubrick (last occupant).
- Judge Bancroft Davis, Secretary of State and Minister to Germany (present occupant).
- George Bancroft (last occupant).
- Commodore Stephen Decatur; Henry Clay; Martin Van Buren, Vice-president; Edward Livingston, Secretary of State; George M. Dallas, Vice-president; General Beale (present occupant).
- William L. Marcy, Secretary of War; Representative Newberry, of Michigan; Senator James G. Blaine; Representative William L. Scott (present occupant).
- Charles C. Glover, banker (present occupant).
- William Murtagh, Editor; General Frank Steele (present occupant).
- Major-General J. G. Parke.
- Commodore Stockton; Levi Woodbury, Secretary of the Treasury under Van Buren; John C. Spencer, Secretary of the Treasury under Tyler; General Daniel E. Sickles; Vice-president Schuyler Colfax; Washington McLean, Editor Cincinnati Enquirer.
- Mrs. James Blair, daughter of General Jesup.
- Senator Gorman; George F. Appleby (present occupant).
- Admiral Alden; Major Henry R. Rathbone; General N. L. Anderson; Senator Dolph (present occupant).
- Mrs. Green, daughter of Admiral Dahlgren; Colonel William H. Philip.
- John McLean, Cincinnati Enquirer.
- Peter Parker, Minister to China; Bureau of American Republics, William E. Curtis, chief.
- Francis P. Blair; Montgomery Blair; Thomas Ewing, Secretary of the Treasury.
- Rev. Smith Pyne; Commodore Morris.
- Dolley Madison; Commodore Wilkes, General McClellan; Cosmos Club (present occupant).
- William Windom, Secretary of the Treasury.
- Colonel Robert G. Ingersoll.
- Ogle Tayloe; Admiral Paulding; Senator Don Cameron (present occupant).
- Henry Clay, Secretary of State; John C. Calhoun, Vice-president; Washington Club; William H. Seward, Secretary of State; James G. Blaine, Secretary of State.
- United States Attorney-general’s office.
- Jackson’s equestrian statue.
- Lafayette’s monument.