Click here to go directly to the contents of this page
[graphic header] A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary Delaware and Lehigh National Heritage Corridor
 [graphic] link to Corridor Home [graphic text] Delaware and Lehigh National Heritage Corridor
[graphic] link to Maps
[graphic] link to List of Sites
[graphic] Link to Learn More
 [graphic] Link to Itineraries
 [graphic] Link to NR Home
[graphic] Link to Previous Site[graphic] Link to Next Site

[graphic] Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad Station


[photo]
Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad Station
Photograph by Kristen Carsto

[photo] Details of porch ceiling and track area
Photographs by Kristen Carsto

The Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad Station, built during the years 1907-1908 at a cost of $ 601,780.96 in the Neo-Classical Revival style by the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad Company, is one of the most impressive buildings in Scranton. The architects of the station were Kenneth Murchison of New York and Edward Langley of Scranton, while the designer was Lincoln Bush, chief engineer of the railroad company. The Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad was one of the most important railroads in the northeast region of Pennsylvania. Its beginnings date back to 1832 and the Ligget's Gap Railroad, later the Lackawanna & Western, and the Delaware & Cobb's Gap Railroad. These two lines merged in 1853 to form the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad, while the Erie-Lackawanna was not formed until 1960 from the merger of the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western with the Erie. Anthracite coal was a major factor in the growth of the railroad, and by 1925 the company owned or controlled through lease nearly all coal underlying West Scranton and had also acquired large areas in other parts of the county as well as in Luzerne County. The profits from the mining and transportation of coal enabled the company to construct such an impressive station as the one at Scranton.

Originally five stories in height, a sixth story was added at a later date. Constructed primarily of sandstone, the station features a porch above the first floor which extends almost completely around the building. The most impressive features of the building are the six Doric columns extending three stories high which support the entablature above the main entrance. The rear entranceway also features six Doric columns, while engaged pilasters three-stories high extend around the remainder of the building. The fifth floor above the entablature features characteristics of Beaux Arts Classicism, including figure sculptures above the main entrance. Directly above the center of the entrance is a large clock with sculpted eagles on either side. The building, which once served as the central office for the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad, is perhaps the finest example of Neo-classical Revival railroad station architecture in Pennsylvania. Today the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad Station is the Lackawanna Station Hotel.

The Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad Station, now the Lackawanna Station Hotel is located at 700 Lackawanna Ave., in Scranton. Take I-81 exit 53, near Steamtown National Historical Site to get to there. Please call 570-342-8300 or visit www.radisson.com/scrantonpa/ for further information.


 [graphic] Link to Canal History Essay
 [graphic] Link to Delaware and Lehigh Region Essay
 [graphic] Link to Scranton and the Railroad Essay
 [graphic] Link to Establishing the Heritage Corridor Essay

 

Corridor Home | Map | List of Sites | Learn More | Itineraries | NR Home | Next Site

 

Comments or Questions


JPJ

[graphic] Link to the National Park Service website