Click here to skip the navigation, and go directly to the context of this page
 [graphic] Link to Ashland Home  [graphic] Link to Welcome Letter  [graphic] Link to Maps  [graphic] Link of List of Sites  [graphic] Link to Learn More  [graphic] Link to other Itineraries  [graphic] Link to NR Homepage
[graphic] Map of the state of Oregon, noting the location of Ashland with a star [graphic] Ashland Oregon: From Stage Coach to Center Stage Header   [graphic] Ashland Oregon: From Stage Coach to Center Stage Header [graphic] Ashland Oregon: From Stage Coach to Center Stage Header
[graphic] Ashland Oregon: From Stage Coach to Center Stage Header
[graphics] rotating images of Ashland
[graphic] Mountain View Cemetery
 [graphic] link to previous site  [graphic] link to next site

Ashland Memorial Mausoleum of Mountain View Cemetery
Photograph by Terry Skibby

Mountain View Cemetery was established by the City of Ashland as an area of 10 acres in the city's southeasterly outskirts in 1904. The cemetery is planted with grass, and mature trees (both native and introduced specimens) provide a relatively dense canopy over much of the burial ground. Headstones placed before 1910 exhibit the same characteristics as those in Ashland and Hargadine cemeteries, while the majority placed between 1910 and 1925 are less elaborate, with a variety of rough-cut or polished granite headstones having flat and beveled tops. Ornamentation is simpler--primarily incised floral designs and fraternal symbols. The Ashland Memorial Mausoleum is located in the portion of the cemetery located south of Highway 66. The Egyptian style building was constructed in 1924 on land purchased from the Ashland IOOF Lodge #45. Its interior includes a chapel, vestibule, and wings that project from the center; a large stained glass window in the chapel is the work of the Povey Brothers Company of Portland. Among those buried in the mausoleum are J. P. Dodge, Alice Applegate Peil and Emil Peil, and Henry G. Enders.

[photograph] Historic photo of the mausoleum, date unknown
Courtesy of The Terry Skibby Collection

This cemetery represents the city's effort to accommodate the community's need for burial ground following explosive growth between 1880 and 1910, an expansive period ushered in by the completion of the last link of the Oregon and California Railroad route between Sacramento and Portland. It is significant as the town's only example of a historic garden cemetery laid out and landscaped in tune with the garden and lawn cemetery movement which originated in Boston, New York, Philadelphia and leading centers of the upper Midwest in the 19th century. While Mountain View cemetery contains the last remains of pioneer settlers, its date of establishment and the fact that it was fashionable made it the last resting place of leaders of Ashland's great period of building after the railroad link was established in 1887. Mountain View Cemetery is an example of an early 20th-century cemetery associated with citizens of that period and provides a link between Ashland's initial settlement and post-World War II development. Additional land for the cemetery was acquired in 1904, 1921, 1922 and 1932 to comprise a total of approximately 17 acres.

Mountain View Cemetery, 440 Normal Ave., is open to the public; guided tours of the Mausoleum can be arranged when the cemetery office is open Monday-Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm. Call 541-482-3826 for further information.

[graphic] link to Applegate Trail Settlement essay
 [graphic] Link to Applegate Trail Settlement essay
[graphic] footer [graphic] Link to All the World's a Stage essay
 [graphic] link to Ashland's Golden Spike essay

Ashland Home | Main Map | List of Sites | Learn More | Itineraries | NR Home | Next Site

Comments or Questions

JPJ/RQ/SB/YT

[graphic] Link to the National Park Service website