Click here to skip the navigation, and go directly to the context of this page
 [graphic] Link to Ashland Home  [graphic] Link to Welcome Letter  [graphic] Link to Maps  [graphic] Link of List of Sites  [graphic] Link to Learn More  [graphic] Link to other Itineraries  [graphic] Link to NR Homepage
[graphic] Map of the state of Oregon, noting the location of Ashland with a star [graphic] Ashland Oregon: From Stage Coach to Center Stage Header   [graphic] Ashland Oregon: From Stage Coach to Center Stage Header [graphic] Ashland Oregon: From Stage Coach to Center Stage Header
[graphic] Ashland Oregon: From Stage Coach to Center Stage Header
[graphics] rotating images of Ashland
[graphic] G. M. and Kate Grainger House
 [graphic] link to previous site  [graphic] link to next site

[photo]
Front entrance of G. M. and Kate Grainger House
Photograph by Terry Skibby

The G. M. and Kate Grainger House is an eclectic style residence with Italianate, Stick, and Eastlake elements built in 1890 for G. M. and Kate Grainger. Mr. Grainger was a prominent Ashland mayor who presided over the city government during construction of Ashland's City Hall in 1891. Designed by local builder W. J. Schmidt, the residence embodies distinct characteristics of these styles--steeped, hipped roofs, a two-story projecting bay, stick paneling under and above windows, curved brackets, and perforated panel and bargeboards. Of approximately 500 19th-century houses in Ashland's local and National Register historic districts, the Grainger House is one of the best representatives of this style. When the Graingers' purchased the house in the early spring of 1890 the Ashland Daily Tidings reported: "Mr. G. M. Grainger, who had purchased the Fountain property on the corner of Granite and High Street will make a great improvement in the place beginning as soon as he obtains title and possession. He will build a new front addition to the house and will have one of the neatest and prettiest residences in town."

[photo]
Historic photograph of the G. M. and Kate Grainger House, c.1915
Courtesy of The Terry Skibby Collection


On its completion in 1890, the building was a modified L-shaped volume, two stories in height on a high basement. A verandah with rounded corner filling the southwest angle was offset by the two-story polygonal bay on the principle fašade. This configuration was later enlarged by two single-story rear additions, the first in 1940. The latest addition, a garage at right angles to the long axis of the house, was built in 1989. While these additions are relatively extensive in area, they are decidedly subordinate to the original 1890 home. During Grainger's mayoral terms many improvements were made to the city-sidewalks, streetlights, and additions to the city park. After he left office, the family continued to be active in city affairs. When their daughter was married in 1903, the ceremony took place at the bay window in the front parlor. During their tenancy in the house, the Graingers occasionally boarded individuals or small families to supplement their income, a tradition continuing today at the many Ashland bed and breakfast establishments catering to theater patrons.

The G. M. and Kate Grainger House, located at 35 Granite St., is a private residence that is not open to the public.

[graphic] link to Applegate Trail Settlement essay
 [graphic] Link to Applegate Trail Settlement essay
[graphic] footer [graphic] Link to All the World's a Stage essay
 [graphic] link to Ashland's Golden Spike essay

Ashland Home | Main Map | List of Sites | Learn More | Itineraries | NR Home | Next Site

Comments or Questions

JPJ/RQ/SB/YT

[graphic] Link to the National Park Service website