National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior

National Register of Historic Places Program:
Washington Miller House,
Columbia, Tennessee

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

 

[Graphic] Weekly Highlight Property

The” first families”, many of whom were Revolutionary War veterans from the Carolinas and Virginia, began arriving in the Columbia, Tennessee area in 1807, following the opening of the land by  treaty with the American Indians who lived in the region. Born in 1811, Washington Miller grew up in Maury County on a farm, the son of Virginian immigrants. When his father, John Miller,  died in 1848, Washington Miller inherited over 200 acres of land and a cotton gin. In 1851 he constructed his new home on this land where he and his wife, Susan, lived. During the Civil War, armies from both sides crossed the farming land, and Union troops ransacked cotton bales from Washington Miller’s gin, following the retreat of John Bell Hood’s Confederate Army. The Washington Miller House is a two-story, 1851 frame Greek Revival House. Two-story wings added in 1975 are set back and flank either side of the main block.

Read the full file on the Miller, Washington, House

To see more photographs of National Register properties go to our photostream on Flickr.

See our Weekly List (with previous highlights)