|The West Endicott Hose Co. No.1 is significant under criterion A in the area of social history for its association with the Endicott Johnson Shoe Company and its program of welfare capitalism. The fire station, completed in 1926-27, was a gift to the residents of West Endicott by George F. Johnson, owner of the Endicott Johnson Shoe Company, the region’s largest employer. The fire station, one of Johnson’s numerous philanthropic efforts on behalf of his workers, represents his generosity and concern for the well-being of his employees and his wide reaching influence over many aspects of their lives. Known as the “Square Deal,” Johnson’s management policy exemplified the popular early twentieth century theory known as welfare capitalism, which held that employers were responsible for the welfare of their employees. In the Binghamton/Endicott/Johnson City area, Endicott Johnson’s intimate involvement in almost every aspect of its workers’ daily lives transformed the company’s operation and labor relations and had a tremendous impact on the economic and social life in the Susquehanna Valley. As one example of the company’s philanthropy, the firehouse went beyond providing essential fire protection for the vast neighborhood of homes that Endicott Johnson constructed for its workers in West Endicott. In addition to space for fire trucks and living and kitchen spaces for firefighters, the building also included recreational facilities for neighborhood residents. These included a bowling alley, dance hall, and gymnasium. The mixed-use building serves as an appropriate example of the “welfare capitalism” idea. Johnson’s gift provided local children with a place for sports, while also keeping them off the streets and encouraging physical fitness. The firehouse retains a high level of integrity and continues to serve both of these functions today.