|The Sioux City, Iowa U.S. Post Office and Courthouse is nominated for the National Register of Historic Places under Criterion C, within the 1934 period of significance. A product of the Depression era, the building's cornerstone was laid in 1932, the project was brought to completion at the end of the following year, and was occupied the first week of 1934. Local architects William Beuttler and Ralph Arnold were responsible for the design of the building; James A. Wetmore was the Acting Supervising Architect of the U .S. Treasury. In 1980, the building was determined eligible for the National Register of Historic Places. According to the eligibility statement, [t]he building is an outstanding example of 1930 Art Modern [sic] architecture and [t]he interior remains intact and reflects fine Art Modern [sic] detailing.5 More than thirty years later, the integrity of the building is still intact and the building is highly qualified to be listed in the National Register for its architectural significance under Criterion C. The U.S. Post Office and Courthouse embodies the classically inspired public architecture promulgated by the United States government for most of the country's history, and also illustrates the effect of modernism on the established ideals of American public design. While the monumental scale it projects was established by Beaux Arts classicism, it also reflects a new approach in the design of federal buildings that presents the form , materials, and details in a restrained , clean-lined , and modest fashion. It exemplifies the strong rectilinear qualities associated with the Art Deco style of the 1930s and later the Art Moderne and Modern styles of the 1940s and 1950s.