National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior

National Register of Historic Places Program

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

 

Property Name Mann, Donald, House
Reference Number 13000449
State New York
County Monroe
Town Scottsville
Street Address 327 Stewart Road
Multiple Property Submission Name N/A
Status Listed 6/25/2013
Areas of Significance Exp!oration and Settlement, Architecture
Link to full file http://www.nps.gov/history/nr/feature/places/pdfs/13000449.pdf
Image
Built in 1830, the Donald Mann House is significant under Criterion A in the area of exploration and settlement for its association with the early settlement of this area of Western New York by Scottish immigrants recruited by Captain Charles Williamson. These settlers established villages with names such as Caledonia and Inverness, reflecting their origins. The hamlet of Inverness, on the outskirts of the larger settlement area, was renamed Wheatland in the nearly nineteenth century to acknowledge the large quantities of wheat and other grains from its farms that were shipped to market, first to Montreal and later to Rochester. The town of Wheatland was included in Monroe County when it was created in 1821, officially separating it from Caledonia , which became part of Livingston County. Donald Mann (1784-1868) and his wife , Margaret, were part of the early Scottish settlement, buying land in East Inverness (Wheatland) around 1810. In addition to being a farmer, Mann was also an itinerant preacher, traveling when needed from his home to several churches in the region.The house built by Mann is also significant under Criterion C in the area of architecture as a good representative example of a Federal style stone house built of locally quarried stone.The new residence reflected Mann's station as a successful farmer and as an educated religious leader, having been trained for the ministry in Edinburgh, Scotland.Mann 's experience as itinerant preacher would have introduced him to Federal style buildings in the various communities he traveled through. The restrained embellishment in the house reflected the lack of ostentation expected of a religious man following the Baptist tradition, as well as indicating the difficulty of building with stone. The house saw few alterations through several generations of family ownership and remained in the Mann family until 1928, which marks the end of the period of significance.

 

Weekly List Search Page

Properties are listed in the National Register of Historic Places under four criteria: A, B, C, and D. For information on what these criterion are and how they are applied, please see our Bulletin on How to Apply the National Register Criteria