|The Rentschler Farmstead is significant at the local level under National Register Criterion A for its association with early twentieth century agriculture and dairy farming in Washtenaw County, Michigan, and under Criterion C as a highly intact example of a farmstead with buildings dating primarily from the early twentieth century. The Rentschler family worked this site for ninety-seven years, from the initial purchase in 1901 until the final sale of the property in 1998. They raised cattle, dairy cows, sheep, pigs and chickens and grew grains, corn, oats and hay to feed them. The dairy business began as a sideline operation and grew into the fluid milk business when additional income became necessary. Buildings were added to house animals, feed and equipment as the farm grew in its production. The nominated property has fourteen contributing resources on four acres, including a farmhouse, dairy and lamb barns, a hog house and several other structures characteristic of a typical dairy farm operation in the early to mid 20th century in Washtenaw County. The farmstead retains the identity of a working farm because all of the buildings dating from 1904 to 1950 survive intact with minimal changes and because it is clearly evident in the spatial organization and design of the buildings, structures and site. It is an excellent example of a Washtenaw County farmstead complex from the first half of the 20th century.