|The University Heights Water Storage and Pumping Station Historic District is locally significant under National Register Criterion A in the area of Community Planning and Development. It possesses a significant concentration of structures, buildings, and sites that are part of a unified entity connected by plan and use. During its 1924 to 1967 period of historic significance, the University Heights Water Storage and Pumping Station Historic District was one of the City of San Diego's four major municipal water storage, filtration, and distribution facilities. Its steady supply of millions of gallons of safe potable water was directly responsible for the expansion of Mid-City San Diego's streetcar suburbs from 1907 to 1942. While the majority of the district's contributing elements may lack individual distinction, its 127-foot tall elevated water storage tank is significant under National Register Criterion C in the area of Engineering. The elevated tank's design, shape, scale, materials, and construction are representative of early twentieth century municipal water storage and delivery systems. A highly visible local landmark, it is the only known example of a 12-legged full hemispherical bottom elevated metal water storage tank in Southern California. An integral part of the University Heights Water Storage and Pumping Station Historic District, during its 1924 to 1967 period of historical significance, it provided adequate head pressure to propel water through the surrounding area's water delivery system during periods of peak water demand.