|Mathewson-Bice Farmhouse is significant under criterion C as an excellent and well preserved example of a New England plan farmhouse of the early national period. In form, plan and style, the house is an intact representative example of New England regional architecture carried to New York by a migrating family. The two-story wood-frame building is five bay wide and two bays deep, featuring a central chimney flanked by rooms on either side and three rooms across the rear, a typical New England plan. The building is especially interesting because of its vertical plank framing, a New England construction technique that was also popular in New York in areas with New English settlement and surpluses of wood. The house is especially distinguished by its fine Federal era paneled fireplace surround and overmantel, as well as its large intact kitchen hearth. It is somewhat unusual because nearly all of its interior rooms are finished in wide, vertical board planks, some with beaded edges. Only the parlor features fully plastered walls, a chair rail and a fully detailed decorative mantle. The form and plan of the house, as well as the use of interior plank walls, recall common Rhode Island building traditions that the Mathewsons probably carried from their original home. The farmhouse is a also significant under criterion A as it reflects patterns of local and regional settlement. Beginning with David Mathewson, a Rhode Island native who settled the land in 1796, it served as the core of a farmstead through 1943. Here migrants from New England in the early national period and immigrants from eastern Europe in the early twentieth century lived and worked the same 125-acre farm. The Bice family (originally Bajec), the second significant occupants of the farm, were eastern European immigrants who purchased the farm in 1913 and successfully farmed the property until 1943. Although reduced to just under 40 acres, the house, one remaining outbuilding, and the Mathewson family cemetery serve as physical manifestations of the early settlement and subsequent development of this agricultural area. The Mathewson Family Cemetery is additionally significant for the information it provides about one of the town’s founding families.