|"On March 10, 1886, James Hemphill and his wife, Selina, conveyed a large tract of mountain land on Ox Creek in northern Buncombe County, North Carolina, to their daughter, Nancy Rebecca ""Nannie"" Hemphill, setting the stage for the creation of the Dr. John G. and Nannie H. Barrett Farm. On July 19, 1887, Nannie Hemphill (1866-1931) married country doctor John Gregg Barrett (1857-1929). Around 1890, they moved to the Ox Creek property, establishing an active farm and constructing the extant historic buildings. They remained there for the rest of their lives, rearing six children. Dr. Barrett's medical practice and a grist mill (no longer standing) he built on the property were sources of some income. Still, the farm provided the family's food with a quarter-acre home garden, milk cows, chickens, and twenty-five fruit trees. Sharecroppers cultivated corn for grain on seven acres. Except for these acres and the farmstead around the house, the rest of the acreage on the property was in woodlands, pastures, or idle land."