National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior

National Register of Historic Places Program

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

 

Property Name Pope, Captain John S., Farm
Reference Number 13000206
State North Carolina
County Orange
Town Cedar Grove
Street Address 6909 Efland-Cedar Grove Road, Cedar Grove, NC
Multiple Property Submission Name N/A
Status Listed 04/23/2013
Areas of Significance Agriculture, Architecture
Link to full file http://www.nps.gov/history/nr/feature/places/pdfs/13000206.pdf
Image
The Captain JohnS. Pope Farm meets National Register Criterion A for agriculture for its role in the history of tobacco farming in Orange County. The farm is a well-preserved example of a mid-sized tobacco farm, typical of those that existed throughout northern Orange County in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. The farm has remained in continuous operation by the Pope family since at least 1870 and retains the 1874 acreage as well as its historic arrangement of fields and forests. -- The property also meets National Register Criterion C for archjtecture. The two -sto ry triple-A-roofed I-house is one of the earliest extant and most intact examples of this rural house form, which was found throughout Orange County in the mid- to late nineteenth century. The property retains o11e of the largest collections of agricultural outbuildings in Orange County with buildings elating from c.1870-1874 through 2008, illu strating typical rural North Carolina building practices of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. The house and its collection of twenty contributing outbuildings illustrate the property's continued use as a tobacco farm from the 1870s through the early 1960s. -- The locally significant Captain JohnS. Pope Farm remains one of the best-preserved rural complexes in northern Orange County with a period of significance extending from c.1870 to 1963, during which the complex achieved its current appearance. The house was constructed cJ 870-187 4 and the majority of contributing buildings were erected from c.1870-1880, 1900-1930, and 1945-1960. While the property remained in continuous operation as a tobacco fann into the twenty-first century, there is no basis for a claim of exceptional significance for the later use of the farm and for those buildings less than fifty years old.

 

Weekly List Search Page

Properties are listed in the National Register of Historic Places under four criteria: A, B, C, and D. For information on what these criterion are and how they are applied, please see our Bulletin on How to Apply the National Register Criteria