National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior

National Register of Historic Places Program

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

 

Property Name Bockrath, Henry and Elizabeth, House
Reference Number 13000190
State Missouri
County Cole
Town Jefferson City
Street Address 309 West Dunklin Street, Jefferson City, MO
Multiple Property Submission Name Southside Munichburg, Missouri MPS
Status Listed 04/23/2013
Areas of Significance ETHNIC HERITAGE/European, ARCHITECTURE
Link to full file http://www.nps.gov/history/nr/feature/places/pdfs/13000190.pdf
Image
The Henry and Elizabeth Bockrath House is located at 309 W. Dunklin in Jefferson City, Cole County, Missouri and is locally. significant under Criteria A and C in the areas of Ethnic Heritage/European and Architecture. The history of the house is intertwined with the development of Munichburg, a neighborhood of German emigrants and their decedents on the south side of Jefferson City, and illustrates two periods of neighborhood development described in the Historic Southside (Munichburg) Multiple Property Submission: Cultural Changes Shape Munichburg: 1866 to 1919 (Context 2) and Post-WWI to the beginning of Neighborhood Decline: 1920 to 1954 (Context 3). The house is an asymmetrical example of the Second Empire style, representative of the Victorian Styles property type described in the MPS and closely related in period and detail to ltalianate Style houses more common to the neighborhood. The Victorian Styles were popular in Munichburg from around 1885 to c. 1897 and houses of this style were usually built for successful upper-middle-class merchants and businessmen such as Bockrath. Bockrath, a merchant and local industrialist, immigrated to the United States in c. 1852, first settling and opening a business in St. Louis and later Florissant, Missouri. He moved to Jefferson City in c. 1885 opening a store and, later, a shoe factory. The Bockraths built and moved into the house in 1899 after Henry's retirement. The period of significance for the house is c. 1899 to 1929, the circa date of construction through its period of ownership by the Bockrath family and its conversion to a duplex as the Munichburg neighborhood shifted from an insular German to a more culturally diverse population.

 

Weekly List Search Page

Properties are listed in the National Register of Historic Places under four criteria: A, B, C, and D. For information on what these criterion are and how they are applied, please see our Bulletin on How to Apply the National Register Criteria