National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior

National Register of Historic Places Program

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

 

Property Name Cotulla Downtown Historic District
Reference Number 13000177
State Texas
County La Salle
Town Cotulla
Street Address Roughly bounded by Kerr Street, Tilden Street, Market Street and Carrizo Street, Cotulla, TX
Multiple Property Submission Name N/A
Status Listed 04/16/2013
Areas of Significance Architecture, Community Planning and Development
Link to full file http://www.nps.gov/history/nr/feature/places/pdfs/13000177.pdf
Image
The Cotulla Downtown Historic District, in Cotulla, La Salle County, Texas, is the historic heart of the South Texas city. The district is bisected by Interstate Business Route 35 (Main Street, formerly U.S. Highway 81) and comprised of two functional parts: one to the west centered on the county courthouse and plaza, and the other to the east, with a row of commercial buildings aligned along Front Street and the former International and Great Northern Railroad tracks. While the west section represents the civic life of city with its courthouse, historic Methodist Church, water tower, and open plaza, the east section reflects the influence of the railroad on frontier growth and development. The buildings along Main Street, including two historic filling stations and an auto dealership, reflect the development of US 81 as an important automobile corridor between San Antonio and the border town of Laredo. The Cotulla Downtown Historic District is nominated at the local level under Criterion A in the area of Community Planning and Development for its role as the commercial, financial, and civic center of the city, and under Criterion C in the area of Architecture for its collection of late 19th and 20th century buildings, some of which reflect the influence of Mexican commercial design common along the Rio Grande at the tum of the 20th century, while others reflect national and regional trends in architecture. The period of significance extends from 1883, when the plaza was established under the city plan, to 1952, when the last significant building of the historic period, the Joe Amberson building, was built.

 

Weekly List Search Page

Properties are listed in the National Register of Historic Places under four criteria: A, B, C, and D. For information on what these criterion are and how they are applied, please see our Bulletin on How to Apply the National Register Criteria