|The Old Stone House Library, built ca. 1825 as a house for Hiram Shipman, has since the early 1920s functioned as the public library for the community of Fort Ann, New York. It nevertheless remains among the foremost examples of early Champlain Canal-era domestic architecture in Fort Ann, Washington County, with interpretable features dating to that period of its history and its occupancy by the Shipman and later the Swift families. The building, locally distinguished by virtue of its use of cut Potsdam sandstone walls and Federal style ornamentation, was erected for Shipman, who operated a tannery and was a principal partner in the local firm of Pike & Shipman. It was subsequendy owned by Willis Swift, Sr., who, like Shipman, was a Vermont native and similarly engaged in tanning and shoe manufacturing industries based in Fort Ann. The building's history as a domicile ended in 1922. It was at that time that it was purchased from the heirs of the Swift family by George Owen Knapp, who donated it to the public for use as a community center and library. Knapp, a founding member and the first president of the Union Carbide Company, developed a large estate adjacent to Lake George and ranks among the foremost historic residents of Fort Ann; his purchase and donation of the building reflected his philanthropic interest in the community. The Old Stone House Library is being nominated at the local significance level in association with Criterion A, in the area of education, for its nearly century-long history as a public library serving the Fort Ann community. It is additionally being nominated under Criterion C, in the area of architecture, as an interpretable example of Champlain Canal-era domestic architecture, and one which shares salient associations with two prominent nineteenth century Fort Ann families.