|500 Seneca is locally significant under Criterion A in the area of industry as the headquarters of the F.N. Burt Company, a successful box manufacturer that contributed to the dense, mixed use character of the Hydraulics/Larkin Neighborhood, the city's earliest manufacturing district dating from the 1820s. The construction of the F.N. Burt facility in 1901 coincided with the redirection of the neighborhood economy after the Hydraulic Canal was filled in. As railroad transportation reshaped manufacturing networks, opportunistic companies located in the Hydraulics/Larkin district to benefit from the proximate juncture of rail lines and clustering of various local enterprises. The F.N Burt Company located on Seneca Street-a major thoroughfare of the neighborhood-as it shifted from printing to box making, an endeavor well positioned between rail lines and consumer markets. F.N. Burt enlarged the factory and headquarters over the subsequent decades as the business grew. The company developed a national presence, becoming the largest provider of cigarette boxes and later cosmetic containers. It remained economically viable by responding to changing demand, for instance by redirecting production to shell cartridges and medical packaging during World War II. The company relocated to suburban Cheektowaga in 1959, but the extant factory and headquarters at 500 Seneca represents the character of the neighborhood that fostered its initial development before the area's decline in the midtwentieth century.