Exterior view of the Carter G. Woodson House at 1538 9th Street, NW, located in the Shaw neighborhood (1976).
National Historic Landmark image.
Carter G. Woodson House
Located in the historic Shaw neighborhood of Washington, D.C. at 1538 9th Street, NW, this house was built in the 1890s. It was the residence of Dr. Carter G. Woodson, an educator and Harvard-trained historian of African American history. The offices for the
Association for the Study of Negro Life and History (ASNLH), which he founded in 1915, were housed on the first and basement levels of the building while he lived on the upper floors. The Association was founded to educate the general public about the historical and cultural contributions of African Americans.
Shortly after ASNLH's founding, Woodson established The Journal of Negro History in January 1916. The journal provided a forum for scholarly articles on African American history. In 1920, the ASNLH established a book publishing firm, Associated Publishers, Inc. To further educate the general public about the contributions of African Americans, the Association also established Negro History Week in 1926, the antecedent of what we now celebrate as National African American History Month. In 1937, the Association established the Negro History Bulletin, a publication intended for a popular audience.
Dr. Woodson oversaw the daily operations of the ASNLH from his home in the Shaw neighborhood from 1915 until his death on April 3, 1950. The ASNLH continued operating out of his home until 1970. In the 1970s, the Association changed its name to the Association for the Study of African American Life and History (ASALH). Since 2005, the house is operated by the National Park Service as the Carter G. Woodson Home National Historic Site.
To Learn More: