• The National Park System Advisory Board Landmarks Committee will convene in Washington, DC, for their fall meeting on December 17 and 18, 2013, at the Charles Sumner School Museum and Archives. For copies of the nominations being considered this fall, and further details about the meeting, please visit our Fall 2013 meeting page.
• Amateur photographer Britta Burmester, of Linden, New Jersey, is the winner of the 2013 National Historic Landmark Photo Contest with her painterly landscape photo of Fort Hancock at Sandy Hook, part of Gateway National Recreation Area. Find out more about the winner and 12 honorable mention photos on the NHL Photo Contest page or visit the gallery at Flickr.
• The NHL Program is pleased to announce the release of two reports, one detailing the Program's designations over the last five years, and another on the Program's various ongoing heritage initiatives since 2011.
• Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar and Director of the National Park Service Jonathan B. Jarvis announced today the designation of 13 new National Historic Landmarks. Please click here for the full press release.
You can read the NHL nominations for the designated properties at this link.
• National Historic Landmark nominations and accompanying images are now available online through NPS Focus, a database of nominations for National Historic Landmarks, National Register of Historic Places, and National Park Service units. For more recent designations please visit our "Sample Nominations" page.
• The National Historic Landmarks program and the National Register of Historic Places have recently expanded their photo policy. Please click here for further information.
• For older news and features please visit our news archive page.